Thursday, July 26, 2007

Big fire in Alameda





Sat the 14th there was a massive fire at an old warehouse down on Blanding which is right on the estuary, in Alameda, about a block north of park st. I was getting gas and happened to look up into the sky to see a huge plume of black smoke and I thought, that must be in Alameda. So I drove east and parked on blanding near the football field where the Alameda High team practice. I was fortunate to get there very early before the crowds showed up and they asked everyone to move away from the building. There were 6 engines there, two from Oakland came over even! It was pretty exciting and I got some amazing photos of the firefighters up on the ladder with the hoses and of the fire itself. Pretty amazing and exciting, to be right there. Wish I could be a firefighter right now.