Saturday, November 10, 2007

Fleet Week from afar

I love Fleet Week every year. I remember very clearly growing up in Alameda, right smack next to the Naval Base here when it was up and running. I miss that. I wish we still had some kind of a miliary prescense here. My dad was in the Navy as a Naval Dentist, pretty cool! Anyway, many times a month we'd have these amazingly awesome jet aircraft flying over our house from takeoff or before landing at the Alameda naval base. I love the booming sound of Mach 1 and the prescision at which they can fly, so fast and such amazing acceleration. Fleet Week is all about celebrating that for the Bay Area. There are awesome naval boats that come into the bay and dock and you can actually tour the boats themselves. I believe this year and a few years ago there was a submarine included in the on water fleet. The Blue Angels fortunately were able to perform this year - some stupid anti-war people protested their prescense and tried to get them kicked out of the show. I realize what they fly is a war plane but also realize that I used to live here when they flew here all the time and I felt pretty darn safe. I am very anti-war but I love airplanes, especially jets so I'm not going to be against them flying. I think realistically they stand for more than just war but for freedom for our country and living free as Americans do. They also stand for peace. The Blue Angels recently lost one of their own when a stunt went wrong and they celebrated this pilot's legacy by having a new pilot come on board. I think what they do is really cool and just amazing. So I got some great pics from far away - when I was walking Goldie out in Harbor Bay, at the point and there was some other people out there purposely to watch the show. Over that weekend, I went out onto the Alameda Base and drove out on one of the many runways to where a bunch of parked cars were and people were up on their cars, looking over the fence and through it to get a great view of the planes flying and doing their stunts. I went over to the city with my dad last year for the first time but decided against it this year as I was not feeling well enough to deal with that many people - almost as bad as during Kaboom - on public transportation, so we stayed home. On Sunday my dad and I went out to the Berkeley marina, parked and walked out on the pier to watch them fly and I'm glad we did, because they occasionally did loop backs, where they fly across the bay to the Berkeley/Oakland area, turn around and fly back to set up for a new stunt. So my pics came out surprisingly well and I don't know if you'll be able to see the planes in the picture clearly or not but maybe you can get it to resize. :)